Tuesday, June 9, 2020

It would be a great day to finish off the final mile of Connecticut's Mohawk Trail, which I had mostly explored in detail last summer.  All I missed was the segment from Route 7 up to Bread Loaf Mountain.
View south from Broad Loaf Mountain (Silver Hill)

The climb up Broad Loaf was decently tough, and the network of stonewalls at the lower portion certainly were impressive.  Although the signage at the start mentioned 6/10 of a mile to the Appalachian Trail intersection, I (and my gps) measured a couple of tenths more.

Next up was crossing Hatch Brook on the AT, which was a really nice easy section.  The brook was a bit dry today, but I really enjoyed the large slabs the flow did cascade down.

Hatch Brook Cascade

At 2-miles from my start, I intersected the Pine Knob Loop, and chose the counter-clockwise direction.  Fairly soon, I had a nice view of Hatch Brook Falls, albeit during a low-flow condition.  

Hatch Brook Falls on the Pine Knob Loop

The Pine Knob Loop is one of the nicest paths I've been on, nothing but admiration for this section of Connecticut Blue Blaze Trail.  Once at the "bottom", I began climbing back up and there is an incredible opening back south, as well as a more rewarding opening to the Housatonic Valley View.

View back towards Bread Loaf Mtn

Housatonic Valley View off the Pine Knob

Housatonic Valley View off the Pine Knob
 

I rambled on to meet back up with the Appalachian Trail, headed back to the Mohawk intersection, and decided to stick to the A.T. to Route 4, and use the road back to the car.  It gave me a chance to complete the short section from Route 4 up to the Mohawk Intersection.

View off the AT / Housatonic Valley

Guinea Brook Crossing

Once ended, I had 6.6-miles on my legs, and I would say "hilly" miles at that.

I saw five thru-hikers on the AT today