Monday, August 10, 2020

I drove out to Burlington, wishing to tie-up a section of the Tunxis Trail from my April stopping point on Garrett Mountain.  I planned on completing the run along the western slope of the Nepaug Reservoir from Route 4.

It was near impossible to find a parking area, or the trail on the north side of Route 4.  I recalled covering this section in July of 2011 with Tippi, and we had come out on a non-busy dirt road a mile or so in from Route 4 (Hotchkiss Road off Covey Road).  That is where I ended up parking, which was better once understood.

The run went great, and despite the heat I kept a strong pace.  I remembered the bridge across the swamp at Phelps Brook from way back when.  The route is basically 90% forest road, but it is interesting.

At my termination point on the north side of Garrett Mountain, I ran east a bit toward the reservoir.  Checking my mapping software once home, I can see that a loop is possible, several variations actually, throughout this forest.

When looking over the area on a map I noticed that I missed out on two waterfalls at my parking spot...  Bunnell's Falls and Burlington Falls.  I'll have to go back and visit Burlington Brook.

Phelps Brook Crossing

View from Baker Road of Nepaug Reservoir

Passageway through Pine