Friday, August 7, 2020

Today I would finish the Connecticut Section of the Appalachian Trail.  I had roughly two unfinished miles, from Hoyt Road on the New York border to the top of Ten-Mile Hill, where I turned last weekend.

The damage from Tropical Storm Isaias was difficult to move through, luckily it wasn't continuous but intermittent.  Regardless, once I re-connected to last week's turn-a-round spot on Ten-Mile Hill, I continued to the Herrick Trail and Preserve, with the understanding that if the trails were a mess I would run back to the parking area on Route 55 via the road, which is what I ended up doing.

Finished with 5.5-miles, and very impressed with the Herrick Preserve.  Incredible stonewalls, one huge boulder, and the views from Housatonic Overlook and Amy's Overlook.

The completion of the Appalachian Trail in Connecticut is something worthwhile, the 56-miles (or so) were doubled as I had to cover out-and-backs each visit.  As I occasionally look at pictures of the trail on the web, I recognize each spot and the segment it is located.  I've added this knowledge to my circled world.

CT/NY Border Kiosk 

 Entering Connecticut

Housatonic Overlook in the Herrick Preserve

Housatonic Overlook in the Herrick Preserve

Amy's Overlook

Large Rock at Amy's Overlook

Amy's Overlook

Undulating Stonewall in Herrick Preserve

Entrance to Herrick Preserve

Roadside Memorial on Route 7 & Route 55