Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Driving north, I stopped off in Ashfield at the Bear Swamp Reservation, and completed a large modified loop connecting a series of snowmobile trails.

Some of this route, I hadn't been on since 2004 (Smith Road to Apple Valley, the Cemetery Road section heading down into Buckland, and the Hawley Road to Bear Swamp Road).

Once I got at the elevation low-point in Buckland, I ran the roads back to Apple Valley, and climbed up Smith Road, which is a bit of a beast when tired.  In retrospect, I should have just taken the snowmobile Trail from the bottom as I ended up adding some distance on by taking the "easier" road section.

Once near the farm on Smith, I pushed through a few hundred feet of knee deep snow in the field until I could reconnect with the snowmobile trail.  From there in, a feeling of satisfaction.

Completed a total of 14.4-miles, with close to ten of it on snowshoes, and just under 3:30 for the entire adventure.