Friday, March 12, 2021

The snowmobile trails are getting seriously sketchy due to the fifty and sixty degree weather this week.  I stopped off in Buckland, hoping to keep piecing my "circled world" together,  hoping the footing wouldn't be too miserable.

Parked off Bray Road, at the little entrance to the Buckland State Forest property, with the intention of heading north for five or so miles, and then returning.  If I felt decent, I'd keep going another mile or so south.

My northern point of intersect would be just north of Mary Lyon Hill area, where there is a junction with a trail coming up from the northwest, just south of Putnam Hill.  I completed that section on February 20th.

My prior ending southern point was at the power line just north of Beldingville Road and south of Baptist Corner Road.  I made that trip on February 11th,

Considering the temperatures, and it being late in the season, the footing wasn't bad.  It got slushy a bit, some icy sections caved in, and there was some running water and mud along the way.  But, I would guess that 70% of the route was decent.

I made it back to the parking area right around 10-miles, and still felt pretty good, so I continued through the Buckland State Forest heading south.  I was out about another 1.5-miles, felt like I was really dragging and getting tired, and began thinking about finding a good spot to turnaround.

The spot I found was right as I hit North Warger Road, at a Christmas Tree Farm.  The Snowmobile Corridor crossed the road here, and the snow was pretty much gone.  

I finished the day with 13.2-miles and feeling really good about the northern connection.  As for the southern limit of my exploring, I feel I will be able to piece it together even after the snow leaves.  At least, I hope to connect the rest of this to Beldingville Road.  Rumor has it that there is a slightly new trail put in by Ashfield Trails that might help.