Saturday, February 17, 2024

I have been working on connecting a route from Cowles Park in East Granby to Northwest Park in Windsor.   I have several great choices to connect everything at this point in time, I just need to pick a final distance and work back from there.

Today I took my initial thought upon route, on snow-covered trail (packed beautifully by fat-tire mountain bikes  ahead of me), from the parking lot of Cowles Park (CT Rt 187) to the Farmington River in Tariffville (CT Rt 189).  The trails are mostly fine, without too much bad-footing.  It measured out at 3.5-miles.  I returned more or less on the NET (Metacomet) back towards Cowles, and while mostly fine, there is the one really rough couple hundred feet of rocks where a trail should be, climbing up the western slope to the loopout over the Farmington.

So, while the day was cold, the sun did come out for a few minutes, and I completed 7.0 snow covered miles in 1:39:00.