Saturday, March 30, 2024

Got a decently early start at Granville, hoping to use some of the forest roads I'd noticed on an old topographical map.  I designed a "sort of" loop that would be about 10-miles.

The running went extremely well, with an average speed of over 5 mph right up to about mile 9.  Then, I ran into some serious logging activity that pretty much ruined the old forest road I had been on in May of 2010.  I tried some optional paths, which were ORV made, and those were not great as they tended to loop into loops and were nothing much other than mud bogs.  The route may have been called Mud Bog Trail, actually.

I made it back to the car in 12.9-miles, and 4.9 average for mph.  Pretty close to 12-minute miles for the duration, which kept me happy.

Most of the route was on old forest and perhaps watershed property, with a couple miles past Howell Pond as paved.  The paved section was nice, with only a house or two through the entire section, so pretty remote.  The logging section was the only disappointment.