Thursday, April 18, 2024

Dickie Betts passed today at age 80.


Allman Brothers Guitarist / Vocalist Dickie Betts passed away today.  I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that the "Live at the Fillmore East" album from 1971 by the Allman's must be some of the most inspired and impressive playing I have ever heard in my life.  


The twin guitars of Dickie Betts and Duane Allman have never, ever been matched in my opinion.  The rest of the band, Gregg Allman, Berry Oakley, Jai Johnny Johanson and Butch Trucks, were all one throughout this recording as well.  It was like a jazz group playing rock music, and really well.


Betts wrote many of the more well known Allman Brother's songs, including:
  • Revival
  • In Memory of Elizabeth Reed
  • Les Brers in A Minor
  • Blue Sky
  • Ramblin Man
  • Southbound
  • Jessica