Saturday, April 16, 2016

A visit to Mohawk Trail State Forest, in Charlemont, Massachusetts, with my friend Bob, who knows every square inch of this forest.  I've been out a half-dozen times with Bob in Mohawk, and I am amazed at what I learn each visit.  Today, we had Jared joining us from Central Massachusetts.

I got to the forest early, and took a run from the Headquarters up the south side of Thumper Mountain.  This is a fairly new path that the staff has been opening up;  it is really awesome as it allows a loop over Thumper Mountain, rather than an out and back from the summit.  The other nice thing about the new route is the trail passes fairly close to the "Gateway".  I didn't have a camera with me, but will remedy that in the future.

Once back to the car, it was a short wait for Bob and Jared, and we spent an enjoyable and informative 3-hours searching for and measuring trees, namely white pine, black birch, and striped maple.

All told, I got six good miles on my legs today.  To top it all off, Bob named a white pine for me.  It is located at the leach field, the "Alibozek Leach Field Pine" measured 149' tall.  What a day!

 Bob getting a fix on the Jake Swamp Pine.

 Jake Swamp's Crown, 173'.
 

Bob and Jared verifying measurements.

A walk through Stafford Meadow, just prior to the Algonquin Stand.