Friday, May 19, 2017

I've had it in mind to find the Williamsburg Balanced Rock again.  I say again because I found it by accident once before, between 2006 and 2008, when running in Conway State Forest.  The thing is, I always thought it was in Conway, but in actuality it is in Williamsburg.

I have been out at least a couple times over the past 3 or 4 years half-way thinking of finding the Balanced Rock again, but this forest tends to make me wander.  Which makes finding the Rock difficult.

This time, I researched my old notes and had a decent idea of where the spot was and the a trail that once lead to it.  Didn't really help as you can see by the map - the white line is my total search, and the red line is a "good path" leading to the Balanced Rock and two trail-heads.  The end result is that I did locate it, by rambling and intersecting the old trail north of the rock.  Perseverance does pay off, as I spent 2.5-hrs over 6.6-miles and 2000' of climbing.  The Rock is a real beauty, and I'm glad I spent time in the forest looking for it.

The one benefit of searching and wandering, is that I came across some incredible large stone walls deep and high in this forest.  Really interesting arrays of work, I hope to revisit someday.