Sunday, April 15, 2018

Planned for an early start to beat the rain, and since it's been since last November that I ran "in" Penwood State Forest, I had my choice.  Parked at Wintonbury Road and began the tough climb to the ridge heading south, sticking to the blue blazed Metacomet (or New England) Trail.  

Made it to Gale Pond and the main parking area for Penwood, and it made me think about 2014 when I volunteered as a CFPA Ridgerunner at this location.  Once out of the parking area I took the alternate route (it is Yellow & Orange throughout) back north.  Noticed on my GPS that I had averaged 3.4 mph for the section to Gale Pond, which is on the slow side.  Made up some speed on the way back, the Yellow/ Orange trail is "smoother" and less rocky than the Metacomet, and completed the 6.5-miles in 1:34 (a 4.1 mph average).  I was very satisfied with my 1st run at Penwood for 2018!

As a bonus, this ended up being my first 30-mile week for running miles in 2018.  Interestingly, this was the same point last year for this mark (15th week of the year).  I am hopeful that I can continue being healthy, fit and strong going forward.

View south toward Talcott Mountain from the Pinnacle

View south off the alternate path

Old weathered trees

Also, on this day in 1996, I was fortunate to run the 100th Boston Marathon. It was my 10th marathon completed, in a time of 3:24:14.