Saturday, March 16, 2019

Another trip to western Mass, only made sense to explore some old routes I haven't been on in a very long time.

I did not wear snowshoes again, but unlike last weekend, I suffered for it this time.  The snow was giving way underneath, and it was still deep in most areas.  Snowshoes would have been much easier.

Regardless, I was pleased with the run (13.8-miles total) and the connective routes.  I have been on this entire section in the past, but some of it was a decade or more ago, and a bit of the other has changed.

From the south, the snowmobile trail has changed from the Sears Road crossing.  I was on the previous route in 2017, so this was pretty recent.  The new route drops down closer to the Spruce Corner Restaurant and sticks close to Stones Brook for a longer duration.

The section after the bridge over Stones Brook is a nice improvement from the old route along Barrus Road.  Actually, the old route was fine as well, but there were live cattle to contend with in the pasture.  Now, we stick to Paddy Hill Road a little further east before taking the wooded trail down to Stones Brook.

Nothing new along the old Meadow Road to the snowmobile trail adjacent to John Ford Road.  Managed to navigate along this route all the way north to Peppermint Park (formerly Berkshire Green Acres Campground, I believe).

Just prior to the Campground, I took a few minutes at Plainfield's East Street Cemetery, also known as the Baptist Cemetery and the Stockwell Cemetery. I was plenty tired at this point, so I took John Ford Road back to my car on Route 116.  I did not realize John Ford Road went through, I had thought it was a dead-end.  This is good to know for future loops as the road is dirt and unpaved, with minimal traffic or homes.

13.8-miles of tough going, not wearing the snowshoes was foolish today.  An additional plus is this route is very close to my route not finished on March 9th.

Bear Mountain off Old Meadow Road

Cellar Hold on Old Barrus Road

12' High Split Stones

Split Stones (these are massive)

Stones Brook from the snowmobile bridge

East Street Cemetery

East Street Cemetery

East Street Cemetery

East Street Cemetery