Thursday, January 21, 2021

One change to my running that I have had to implement, if I wished to meet the mileage goals I have set,  is to do more running on the road rather than strictly stick to the trail.

Over the past 28 years of running, up until last year I just didn't run on the road.  Most likely less than 20-miles total per year.  Many years, in the 90's and 00's, most likely not even a single day of running on the road.

Between longer and changed work hours, especially during daylight savings where I just have no actual daylight time to run in, and the loss of a real winter season for snowshoeing, I needed to make the change to some running on the road and sidewalks around town.

I purchased some very cushioned Hoka Running Shoes last January, and ran about a third of my miles on the road in 2020.  It ended up as follows:

  • Road - 339.6
  • Trail   - 961.2

This allowed me to get some running in on days when I normally wouldn't have been able to.  The careful approach and better road running shoes kept me from being injured.  In the end, I managed to complete my goal of 1275 total miles in 2020.  Moving some of my miles to the road allowed me to achieve this.