Monday, April 19, 2021

Every since I ended up on Sodom Mountain Road back on February 10th, snowshoeing in Dismal Brook Preserve, I have been wanting to see if I could continue over the mountain to the north, into Granville or Southwick. 

Today I explored.  I parked across Highway 57 from the Granville Gorge, and started uphill on a trail.  Hit a snag and had to bushwhack for a quarter-mile or so, but once back on trail  (above the Sodom Mountain Campground I suspect) it was all on trail, some better than others.

Ended up passing a communication tower, or similar, and down the mountain across the gas-line about two-miles west of my parked car.  I rambled down Route 57 for a finish of 5.6-miles.

There are many trails on this ridge, recently ridden by motorbikes (which made them easy to spot and follow).  I think there is a good trail heading south at the saddle/ravine between the two "tops" at Sodom Mountain on the map.  That is where I will try to get back to from the south at some point, hopefully sooner than later so some of it will still be in my head.