Saturday, July 23, 2022

Despite being called out to work from 10 p.m. until after 1 a.m., and not getting much sleep, I planned on today being the day I would complete the remaining 1.3-Miles of Appalachian Trail in Massachusetts.

Topping it all off, it was going to be very hot.

I had a route in mind, taking the Pine Cobble Trail in Williamstown up to my meeting point from my last effort on East Mountain, and then continue along to the Vermont Border.

Once in North Adams, I drove River Street until it became Massachusetts Avenue in Blackington, and then North Hoosac Road once into Williamstown.  Just a tenth or so up Pine Cobble Road and I was at the small parking lot, elevation ~630'.

The Pine Cobble Trail is really in fantastic shape all the way to Pine Cobble Lookout.  Much trail-work has been done through this section.  Took the brief extension to the lookout, and then continued on to the Vermont Border, finally reaching my destination in about 3.7-Miles at ~2280' elevation.

On the return, I took the Class of '98 Trail to avoid some of the "cobbles", and it was very good with but a brief section of small boulders to sort through, maybe 5-minutes of time.  The upper section could use a bit of bench cutting but the lowest section was fantastic.

Completed the day's section at 7.5-Miles, and with it I can say I have completed all the Appalachian Trail in both Connecticut and Massachusetts.  I began this journey in 2019, so it took me over the course of four seasons.  The distances had to be doubled, as I did all of this on my own, with one car, forcing out-and-back adventures.

Once back home, I did walk Lily for 1-Mile in the evening.