Sunday, June 12, 2016


A big breezy day was forecast, I wanted to enjoy some woods-time.  Penwood is close enough, and rugged enough, to satisfy me today (and, allow a nice ninety minute loop to keep me on target time-wise).

I went out from Wintonbury Road again, it's out of the sun and busy enough with other park visitors that worries are minimal.  Interestingly, when I finished my 6.5-miles, I learned that a group of boy-scouts were in the first leg of an "adventure" race behind me, on the orange trail, riding mountain bikes.  Evidently, they mountain bike, run to the sycamore (I think), canoe down the Farmington River, and maybe one additional thing.  That is a pretty good adventure for young men 12 - 18 years old.

Penwood was nice;  this was my second visit this season, and the reminders of what a rewarding experience I had as a ridge runner here were many.

The Mountain Laurel ( Kalmia Latifolia) was in bloom, and it was worth the trip.  Located on the Blue-Blazed Metacomet (NET, New England Trail) about 1-mile north of the main parking area at Gale Pond.

The view from the Pinnacle, looking south to Hueblin Tower.

There is an incredible 1/8-mile or so of Mountain Laurel worth checking each May & June.

Blooming Mountain Laurel.

Mountain Laurel.

Mountain Laurel.

People have been stacking and shaping for a long while.
Effigy Site.

Close up.

Another.

Leading out, more Mountain Laurel.