Thursday, September 21, 2017

Nepaug State Forest and a section of the Tunxis I've not explored in many years.  The actual Tunxis Trail spends a lot of time on a worn, gravel, forest road.  Luckily, the Tipping Rock Loop is pretty awesome, and worth the ups and downs.  Totaled up 6.7-miles for the day, which included some very light running, hiking, and walking.

The interesting thing about "Tipping Rock", is there are two rocks at the location and I'm not really sure which one is the namesake.  Either one is pretty cool though.

Along the way, I was surprised to spot three memorials, one on Route 202 and two along Route 219, all in New Hartford.  While stopped and paying respect at one location, a driver stopped and discussed "David" with me.  I explained my feelings of sorrow for the loss, and my feelings of tremendous respect for those keeping the memory of their loved one alive.

Smaller Balanced Rock, at the "Tipping Rock" location

Larger Balanced Rock, at the "Tipping Rock" location

Location of both Balanced Rocks, at the "Tipping Rock" location

Signage

Memorial on Route 202

Memorial on Route 219, "David"

Memorial on Route 219
 



Back in Time...

On this day in 1997 I completed my 15th marathon in 5:03:39.  This was my first attempt at Pisgah, and I have it listed as 29.3-miles.