Saturday, August 18, 2018

I started thinking about the Mohawk Marathon post a few days ago (we completed it on August 15th, 2014), and some of the prep work that went into it.  I noticed in my files a August 18th, 2013 date for Savoy Mountain and the Cold River.

I recall that the point of this run was to basically see how well the old trail existed leading from New State / Savoy Road down to the Cold River, and then up to South County Road.  Secondly, to also verify that the old snowmobile trail was still  passable from South County Road to Route 2.

These two routes and I go way back... I know I explored them in the early 1990's alone with my dog Dusty.  Getting to the late '90's, the Bandit joined me often enough through the Cold River Sections.  I also remember an account of a run from Whitcomb Summit to Spruce Hill during the 2000 trail running season, where we crossed the Cold River as well at this location.

At some point toward the middle to late 2000's, I just never got back out to this trail.  Other areas occupied my mind, and although I wouldn't say it was forgotten, it did drift out of range for me.

I also see in my files that I had explored this area in July of 2012 as well, with Tippi.  It is an important area of interest, these Cold River Crossings.  I feel a spiritual connection to the river, and the locations.

On this run in 2013 I remember finding the trail at least a remnant of what once was.  I recall hanging a few ribbons here and there, especially through the small bit of land between Tower Brook and the Cold River.  I figured this old path would tie in a nice Florida and Savoy section of a Mohawk Trail Marathon for the following year.  The path was still visible if I looked hard enough, albeit very grown in and thick with underbrush.

Little did I realize on this day in 2013 that we would use this northern Cold River crossing not once, but twice, for our Marathons in 2014.  On August 15th we completed the Mohawk Trail Marathon, and on September 7th we were successful with Dunbar-Whitcomb-Jambs.

It was meaningful to rediscover the old files for this exploration, brought back some wonderful memories and enhanced my hobby of "looking back" to see forward.