Saturday, September 4, 2021

It was a beautiful cool day (low seventies) to take another tackle at my Massachusetts Appalachian Trail Adventure.  I last ended up on Gulf Road in Dalton, where the AT and the BNRC Boulder's Property converge.  My goal would be to connect from this point through to Cheshire, at the Ashuwillticook Rail Trail Parking area.  I completed the section from Cheshire at Church Street to Old Adams Road on May 6th of this year previously.

The footing was difficult for much of this section, and it is long as there are no "break points" along the way (road crossings).  It probably wasn't smart to have run the "race-pace" 5km yesterday as well.  Regardless, the run was awesome, with a good climb over North Mountain, a peaceful view of Gore Pond, many flowing, clean brooks to cross, and the outstanding view from the Cheshire Cobbles.

When I arrived at the Ashuwillticook Parking area, I had some serious leg fatigue (I was at mile 7.5).  I figured the distance would be about the same, but I would benefit from the overall "flatness" of running the rail trail back to Gulf Road, and then back to the start through the "Gulf".

This was flat, but I was wearing an older pair of running shoes and the pounding of the asphalt really wore me down.  I haven't been on this section of the Ashuwillticook since a 10-mile race with the Hillbilly and my Pop long ago.  

Once finished, I had 14.8-miles in, and all that remains of my Massachusetts Appalachian Trail Adventure is roughly 11-miles, from just below Greylock's Summit to the Vermont Border.

Gore Pond

Cheshire Lake from the Cobbles

View of Mt Greylock Range from the Cobbles

Bottom of the Cobbles