Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Having been born in 1962, and liking and listening to music from the early sixties onward, I thought it might be fun to attempt a listing of my favorite albums each year since birth.

I didn't really begin to listen to a lot of music until the early '70's, and I began buying records around 1974 or 1975 I guess.  I can still recall many of those first albums I bought.  Many, I still enjoy.

Many of the early 1960's records I found later on in life, some just in the last few years.

I had a period of time from early '90's until the late 2000's that my listening was mostly jazz.  This means a couple of things...  (a) there will be a decent selection of jazz records in my list, and (b) many of the "rock" albums from this time I might have caught later on (a decade or more) from when they first came out.

So, this isn't really a list from any sort of time-machine, of what was #1 during that year.  It's looking at sixty years of music that I can say I enjoy or have enjoyed.  I  listen to each of these, even still.

I am sure I'll fine-tune my thoughts, but, that is for another day...

I present my favorite albums of 1963...

Albums released 1963

1.    John Coltrane                                      Impressions

2.    The Beatles                                         Please Please Me

3.    Bob Dylan                                           The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan

4.    The Beatles                                         With the Beatles

5.    Charles Mingus                                   Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus

6.    Roy Orbison                                        In Dreams

7.    Rashaan Roland Kirk                          Reeds and Deeds

8.    Jackie McLean                                    Let Freedom Ring

9.    Link Wray                                            Jack the Ripper

10   Bo Diddley                                           Surfin' With Bo Diddley

Honorable Mentions

11.  Joe Henderson                                    Page One

12.  Charles Mingus                                   The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady

13.  Art Blakey                                            Caravan

14.  Ike & Tina Turner                                 It's Gonna Work Out Fine

15.  Dick Dale                                             Checkered Flag

16.  Ike & Tina Turner                                 Don't Play Me Cheap

17.  Dick Dale                                             King of the Surf Guitar