Saturday, July 9, 2016

A busy Saturday morning at work, followed by a wonderful run along the Metacomet.  From Route 189, at the Farmington River, I passed through Tariffville and rose to the ridge, letting it carry me toward Penwood.  From there, I ventured into Wilcox Park a bit, and followed the trail to the Pinnacle at the height of land in Penwood.

This is a pretty nice section, if the gravel road enhancement could have been avoided through one short ridge-top section.  I am not sure why it continues as far as it does, but the stones are assimilating into the earth some over the years, so it isn't as bad on my feet.

Finished up with 8.3-miles in a little under 2-hours.  Once home, I was presented with a thoughtful gift from Donnalee, a tee shirt emblazoned as shown below:


Yes, I am a huge fan of Game of Thrones, books and television.  And, I dig that Hodor a great deal.  

As an added bonus, after receiving the tee-shirt, the phone rang and it was our old friend Johnny Bandit, who we hadn't heard from in many, many years.  What a day!

Just after the start, on Route 189, a view from the bridge (Farmington River). 

The Bartlett Tower, just a few tenths into the Metacomet Trail off Mountain Road.

One of the views off the ridge, looking west.

Today's look off the Pinnacle in Penwood, towards Hueblin Tower.

This old chimney used to be along the Metacomet;  the re-route goes away from it.