Saturday, July 30, 2016

Made a trip to Hawley with Wuzzam and the Old Goat to run a big loop in Dubuque State Forest.  It's been almost two full years since I've run in this old favorite, and longer for my two companions.  

We were hoping for either 15 miles or 3.5-hours, and we were close to both...  14.1-gps miles (some of this is winding so actual distance on ground may be greater) and a running time of 3:17:00.

The Kiln is always a treat, and there is a real maze of trails zig-zag'ing around it that I'll have to get back to.  Along the way, there were other trails popping up that I hadn't noticed before, which I'll get to.

We did a little searching and found the balanced rock off Bog Trail.  I have photos we took during a winter snowshoe in the early 2000's, but lately it had escaped me.  Today, we took the time and it was very worth it...  excellent surprise along this trail.

Took a look at the Old Cemetery off Poverty Square Trail, something Wuzzam and I always do.

Moody Spring had a good flow of delicious water, which we all tanked up on.  The trails throughout were in pretty great shape, which was really nice to enjoy.  Great day with two old friends whom I have been running with for around 20-years.  That's longevity!

New Signage for the Hawley Kiln!

The Kiln Itself.

Dubuque's Balanced Rock.

 Dubuque's Balanced Rock.

 Very Weathered Signage for the Old Cemetery.

 Gould Meadow Shelter.

Moody Spring, a very mystical location for Wuzzam and I.

Wuzzam and Old Goat at the Spring.

Periwinkle Trail off South Road.