Saturday, October 28, 2017

Week Three of our Master Naturalists Level II training at Goodwin State Forest.  Today's class covered Connecticut's Geology.
 
Once again, after class, I took a run through some more of the trails Goodwin offers.  I reconnected with the Natchaug Trail, where I had previously left off.  I noticed some interesting rock-piles, tall stonewalls, nice straight white pine, a couple brooks and a fantastic waterfall.

I also explored a single-track not on the official map, one of many around the Black Spruce Pond area.  There are a few more I noticed that I will explore in the future. 
 
I ended up with 8.5-miles for the day.  The only disappointment was at Orchard Hill, which on the two prior visits I've had, I really thought it was a beautiful spot.  This time, logging has thinned out the entire knob pretty severely.  I am not a fan of what's been done.
 
Cellar Hole along the Natchaug Trail
View off Orchard Hill
What I think is Whitman Brook along the Natchaug Trail
There are a series of rockpiles along the Natchaug Trail
Falls at Goodwin Brook
Falls at Goodwin Brook
Falls at Goodwin Brook
Falls at Goodwin Brook
Old Well along the Natchaug Trail
Old factory or dam foundation along Beaverdam or Silvermine Brook
 White Pine stand within tall stoned-wall area
Tall Stonewall slightly off-trail
Small nook in the tall stonewall slightly off-trail
White Pine within the tall stonewall