Monday, October 30, 2017

Very heavy rain and wind all day Sunday, especially during the evening hours.  I figured it would be very wet on any trails, so I took the day to drive out to Cornwall, Connecticut to research the following locations for future explorations:

Gold's Pines
Day Preserve
Ballyhack Preserve
Cathedral Pines
Mohawk Trail State Forest & the Mohawk Trail in Connecticut

I became familiar with the locations, including the main parking area of Mohawk on Route 128 and an additional road crossing along Route 43.  

I took a hike/jog into Gold's Pines, which appears to be a work in progress with trail maintenance.  Completed 2.2-miles, with some bushwhacking along the feeder stream to Mill Brook.  I ended up connecting with the trail to the Day Preserve's open meadow, and found my first ever geo-cache in the stonewall along the field.

Observed the tall pine within Gold's;  here are links to individual trees...

155' - Tallest tree in Connecticut as of March 31, 2016
146' - White Pine #1
146' - White Pine #2
140' - White Pine #1
140' - White Pine #2

Some of my photographs on this overcast rainy day follow;  I will have to go back in winter to better acquaint myself with the specific White Pine.