Friday, December 8, 2017

A run along the Metacomet from Mountain Road in West Suffield, heading south.  I went off trail a bit to explore a more "western" ridge, which I believe was once the original trail.  I had cleared it out maybe 10 or 12 years ago, and it was still evident today.

Just prior to rejoining the Metacomet from the exploration, I noticed a geocache hidden in a tree.  That was a nice surprise, but I also had a second surprise that really made me jump.  Just before dark, as I was running along the trail, I almost bumped into a raccoon.  I was only a foot or two from running right into it, and it looked as frightened as I was.  It stood up on it's hind legs and made a funny sound, which was nothing compared to the funny sound I made as I retreated.

The raccoon didn't seem to know what to do after our encounter, and wasn't moving, so I bushwhacked around it.  Ended the run with 3.1-miles of fun.