Monday, December 18, 2017

It is close enough to the end of the year for me to review the goals I had set for 2017.  I doubt I'll get out to "complete" any additional stragglers, so here is what I had hoped for, and what I accomplished.

"Goals" for 2017:
  • I am hopeful that I can complete 1000+ miles of running this year.
  • I am also hopeful that I can record a post each day in this blog, for the entire year.
  • Locate and explore the "Lead Mine" in Little Egypt.
  • Locate and Explore the Goshen Stone Chamber.
  • Re-locate the Balanced Rock in Williamsburg or Conway.
  • Locate the 1926 Memorial Plaque set in a rock in Williamsburg / Conway.
  • Visit Chesterfield Gorge, including a run along the old path.
  • Locate the Thoreau Pine and Grandfather Pine in Monroe State Forest. 
  • Visit some of the many large boulders in Monroe State Forest.
  • Continue visiting and locating Savoy Graveyards, especially the 2nd Hathaway Burial Ground.
  • Locate and explore the waterfall above the Hairpin Turn on Route 2.
  • Hike the Tophet Brook, as much or as little as possible.
  • Visit Balanced Rocks in North Salem, NY and Pittsfield / Lanesborough, MA.
  • Locate Burnt Hill in Heath.
The following challenges have been met:
  • I did manage to go beyond 1000-miles of running this year.
  • I have recorded an entry each day in this blog.
  • The Lead Mine / April 15th.
  • Goshen Stone Chamber / April 27th.
  • Balanced Rock in Williamsburg / May 19th.
  • Chesterfield Gorge / June 9th.
  • Savoy Graves including the elusive 2nd Hathaway Burial Ground / June 26th.
  • Burnt Hill (reconnaissance only) July 10th.
  • Visit some of the many large boulders in Monroe State Forest / October 10th.
  • Locate the Thoreau Pine and Grandfather Pine in Monroe State Forest / October 13th.
  • Locate and explore the waterfall above the Hairpin Turn on Route 2 / October 31st.
All I didn't get to were the following:
  • Locate the 1926 Memorial Plaque set in a rock in Williamsburg / Conway.
  • Hike the Tophet Brook, as much or as little as possible.
  • Visit Balanced Rocks in North Salem, NY and Pittsfield / Lanesborough, MA.
So, I am thinking it's been a really good year.  Of the three items I didn't get to, I intend to achieve them sooner than later.  They will be at the top of my list for 2018, more or less.  And thinking of 2018, I have tons of goals for next year already written down on index cards.