Saturday, February 24, 2018

An afternoon drive to Williamsburg to see if I could find the route from the Bradley Sanctuary to the Tilton Farm Trail area at DAR State Forest.  A part of this was the old snowmobile corridor, which I last visited on May 29th, 2012.  

Bradley Sanctuary looks well maintained and in great shape.  The connector from Bradley around Nichols Swamp went well, but the old woods road past the gravel pit and old cemetery (which I've never seen) was a true mess due to logging.  I ended up bushwhacking until I found another old woods road, and exited on Brier Hill Road instead of Wing Hill Road, about 8/10 off.

I needed to be a little lower on the ridge, close to Rogers Brook.  I'll venture out again to run from the north and head south.  The biggest issue is the heavy logging, which has always been present, but right now is brutal.  I feel confident I can connect the pieces, and I also will head east from Bradley toward Conway State Forest.

Heading back, I noticed a large stonewall toward the top of Merritts Hill, so I ended up bushwhacking again through a mess of downed trees and stumps.  I finally emerged on a woods road, which looked like it was heavily used for the logging operation.  Ended up with 5.7-miles, and I just beat the rain!

Bradley Sanctuary Kiosk

Inscribed rock for the Bradley Property

Bradley Sanctuary's Large Oak just beyond the stonewall

Nichols Brook

Nichols Brook and Ravine