Saturday, February 10, 2018

The weather report called for a warm, rainy day for the region.  K2 and I decided we would risk a drive to the Daughter's of American Revolution State Forest in Goshen, Massachusetts, and hopefully beat the moisture.

We were fortunate, the rain held off, and we managed 2:20 on our snowshoe'd feet.  I ended the route with 9.6-miles along the snowmobile corridor from the Headquarters at DAR to the solar field off Route 9.  Conditions were actually excellent, but as soon as three sleds passed me by with a mile to go, I could see the base was eroding fast.

The route hasn't changed from 2008 & 2009 when Tippi and I covered a huge chunk of this area over two winters.  At least to the point I turned around (the solar panel field, which obviously wasn't present ten-years ago).  I'll need to get back soon, to see if anything has changed, and build upon the "circled world".

Crossing over the West Branch of Rogers Brook

Interesting stonewall, and what is under the snow?

Surprise of the day, a Balanced Rock

A view from above the solar panels, my turn-a-round point

Another view of the Balanced Rock