Thursday, February 1, 2018

Wuzzam and I have been exploring the Pinnacle and Bald Mountain, and last week we found our way to the Stevenson Woodlot across from old Camp Ayapo.  The Simon's Run from way-back have been on my mind, so today I went out to the Skyline Area of Somers to run the trails and see if I could find the way toward Minnechoag Mountain in Hampden.  All these areas were portions of that wonderful run from '99 and '00.

About half-way into the run I scared about twenty turkey, scattering them from their comfort. Ended the day just as it was getting dark, with 3.4-miles.  Best of all, despite wandering a little bit "off-trail", I managed to reconnect to the old path!

Area sign at the small parking spot along Stafford Road 
Large Boulder along the Skyline Trail 
 

Also, from the archives....   On this day in 1998, the 4th Annual Moby Dick Marathons were held over Greylock. I completed my 17th marathon in 6:19:40, with Johnny Bandit.  It was the second time I wore snowshoes for the 28-mile adventure.  It would be the last time I would snowshoe this distance!