Wednesday, July 18, 2018

I was thinking Penwood or Talcott Mountain area today, and then I remembered some trails I noticed on "open streetmap" underneath Penwood's Metacomet Ridge.

Found a nice little clear grass parking lot, Simsbury Land Trust's "Tanager Hill" area, that would lead to the trail network.  Followed the Owen - Mortimer Trail up to the powerlines, and then took the spur to meet up with Penwood between a lookout and Lake Louise.  Came rolling down, around a meadow and pond, and then down Lucy Brook to the parking area.  4.3-miles of enjoyment in a beautiful area.

Also, on this day in 2008, I completed the Hallockville Pond - Mt Institute Marathon with Wuzzam and Tippi.  The 25+ miles were completed in 5:29:07, and ended with a dip in Hallockville Pond.  This was my 36th completed marathon and Tippi's 12th.

Looking off the Metacomet Trail in Penwood State Forest

Tanager Hill Plaque along Lucy Brook

Kiosk in Parking Area