Saturday, October 10, 2020

Back to the Appalachian Trail to tie-up last weekend's section.

Last Saturday I ended on the old forest road south of East Mountain, so I would begin to the east right at the convergence of where Route 183/57 joins Route 23 in Great Barrington and trek south to this turn-around point.  I estimated the total miles to be around 8.

What I was most interested in during this section would be Ice Gulch, a rocky crevice about at the half-way point of my run.  It didn't disappoint, as it was incredible and the hemlocks certainly made it magical.

A nice bonus throughout the adventure was the balanced, or perched, rocks I came across.  Always fascinating to stumble upon one (or more) of these.

I skirted East Mountain, stayed a bit south of Warner Mountain, and did not see the re-entry of the old forest road south of Warner, which shows up on the old topo maps in two locations.  I turned back once I hit last week's ending point, right at 4-miles.  

Finished the day with 8.1-miles, and feeling like Ice Gulch should be visited again.

In the evening, DL and I walked to the First Church of Christ's "Meeting House Hill" to watch the firework display commemorating the 350th Anniversary of Suffield.

Ice Gulch

Ice Gulch

Ice Gulch

Ice Gulch

Ice Gulch

Stone Slab adjacent to Appalachian Trail

Stone Seat

1st Balanced Rock

1st Balanced Rock

2nd Balanced Rock

2nd Balanced Rock

3rd Balanced Rock

3rd Balanced Rock

4th Balanced Rock

4th Balanced Rock

4th Balanced Rock

4th Balanced Rock

Signage at Parking Area