Sunday, October 18, 2020

Wuzzam joined me for a fun-run of the Goodwin 30km Trail Race, normally held in June, of which we have participated 2 or 3 times each.

The day was great, began in  the high thirties for temperature, with sunny, blue sky.  A pair of hikers had to recall Wuzzam back to his vehicle to lock it up, as he was leaving one, or possible two of  this driver side doors wide open.  This was after "locking" it and reminding me to verify that my vehicle was "locked".

We had some difficulty with all the trails in the beginning few miles;  we had to stop and think a few times, back-track at least once I can remember, and basically seeming confused as it was like being in a place for the first time.  I honestly couldn't tell if the trails just all looked about the same, or if they didn't seem like anything I had been on before.  That kind of day for both of us.

We finally got out toward Black Spruce Pond and recognized where we were, and things went well navigationally from there.  Until the left turn off the Natchaug Trail in the last few miles...  I thought it looked correct, but Wuzzam thought it was further along the Natchaug.  We stuck to the Natchaug and of course that was wrong.

The run finished up at 19.2-miles on my gps, and the trails appeared difficult to us.  This is a strange forest, as we alternate from run-to-run thinking the trails are either awesome (the last two times we've run here), or really not awesome (today, or the time Wuzzam wished to skip all the opening section of trails around Pine Acres Lake due to them being "dip-shit trails (his phrase)).

We held up well, I managed the entire run with just two liters of fuel.  We were out on our feet for close to 4:48:00, and it seemed it.


Wuzzam around Goodwin Brook

General Nathaniel Lyon's Memorial Park

Beaverdam Marsh

Black Spruce Pond

Wuzzam at Black Spruce Pond


Comparison of Official Race Course and Today's Modified Version


From the Archives...
Bay State Marathon
October 18, 1992 - Lowell, Massachusetts

Today I completed my first marathon, at the Baystate Marathon, in Lowell, Massachusetts.  I ran 3:35:00 for the 26.2-miles (two loops).  My folks drove out to see me finish, which was really cool.