Friday, July 14, 2017

I looked forward to a run in the woods all day today.  I chose McLean, and the Westledge Trail.  I had not been on this route in several years.

Prior to starting my run, I ventured off Firetown Road a short distance to check on Northgate Falls and ruins.  Only a hundred or so feet from the road, a path leads to a nice series of falls, and old stone foundations.  With the rain of the last 3 days, the streams were really roaring.  I am not sure this stream has a name, but it is a tributary of Bissell Brook in Simsbury.

After that, to the Eddy and Westledge Trailhead to make my way up the hill to the turnaround at Highridge Road.  Once the trail levels off, I noticed 3 or 4 cellar holes and an array of stonewalls.  A little research reveals that this area was once a busy little community known as Pilfershire.  I hope to remember to re-check this area in late November or early December.  It will be fun to see how many cellar holes I can find.  I recall there being some foundations north of this trail as well, which I've seen a few times but not in the last 5 or 6 years.

Ended with 3.5-miles, and a re-check of the waterfall I had visited on Sunday, July 9th.  For a short trail, there is much to recommend while on it.

Northgate Falls, lower
 Northgate Falls, middle
 Northgate Falls, a bit higher
 Northgate Falls, upper at stone-work
 Falls of Westledge Trail
 Falls of Westledge Trail with cave overhang