Wednesday, July 12, 2017

No running today, there was just too much rain and difficult weather as well that kept me after work for a bit.  Instead, I wanted to revisit status on some of the goals that were set for 2017.

At the beginning of the year, I made up a short list of a dozen sites to explore while running or hiking.  I posted the list in April, and since we are officially at the second half of the year, it would be great to see what I selected and how I've done (so far).

  1) The Lead Mine
  2) The Goshen Stone Chamber
  3) The Balanced Rock in Williamsburg or Conway
  4) The 1926 Memorial Plaque set in a rock in Williamsburg / Conway
  5) Chesterfield Gorge, including a run along the old path
  6) The Thoreau Pine and Grandfather Pine in Monroe State Forest
  7) See some of the many large boulders in Monroe State Forest
  8) Continue with Savoy Graveyards, especially to find the 2nd Hathaway Burial Ground
  9) Check the waterfalls above the Hairpin Turn on Route 2
10) Hike the Tophet Brook, as much or little as possible
11) Balanced Rocks in NY State and Pittsfield/Lanesboro
12) Burnt Hill in Heath

The following challenges have been met -
  • The Lead Mine / April 15th
  • Goshen Stone Chamber / April 27th
  • Balanced Rock in Williamsburg / May 19th
  • Chesterfield Gorge / June 9th
  • Savoy Graves including the elusive 2nd Hathaway Burial Ground / June 26th
  • Burnt Hill (reconnaissance only) July 10th

I am happy to see that I've met half the goal locations, and the other half are real possibilities.  I have been adding additional "spots" to a list, for next year, most likely....