Friday, July 7, 2017

One day while running from Route 2 toward South County Road, along Whitcomb & Flat Rock Hill, I came across a man-made stone structure that left me confused towards it's origins.  This would have been back in the mid-1990's.

For a few years, whenever I would run from Whitcomb Summit to Windsor Jambs, I'd pass this structure and wonder.  It wasn't until Wuzzam and I pieced our way through the Dunbar, Whitcomb, Jambs Marathon in September of 2014 that I decided to get an answer to the mystery.

I asked Tim Z, a friend, who resides in the area.  He knew immediately what we were describing...  one of the alignment towers for the Hoosac Tunnel construction.  Best news, evidently, is that there are a few more alignment tower locations worth searching for.



I know I've been very close to the Spruce Hill and Rowe sites, but as of yet have not seen the remains.  The Notch Road site, despite supposedly being in the best condition, has been a complete mystery to me.  I've used the websites above (links provided) to gather gps points and map the locations for a late November / early December potential search (just before heavy snow fall).